Thursday, March 08, 2007

Welcome to Our Wading Pool

I've been in major stress mode all week; so stressed that I couldn't even bitch about it! Don't get me wrong, I bitched plenty verbally, but I didn't have the heart to write it all down yet. Now I do.

'Boyfriend' and I bought on a ski house this past Friday upstate. Sounds amazing right?!? Well, it is, except for the fact that just hours after we closed, our basement flooded! And not just the a cement/pipes/non-liveable basement, but a finished basement w/ a carpet and exercise equipment and washer/drier. Ugh! Here's how it all went down...

We did our final walk-through in the morning, and everything was fine...went to the lawyer's office for a couple hours (Yay! We have a house!)...went to lunch to celebrate...went shopping for cleaning stuff, food, supplies, etc.

We got back to the house around 8pm at which point I went down to the basement to put away the laundry detergent and stepped into 2-3 inches of water! I turned on the light, saw that water was everywhere, went into shock and started yelling to 'boyfriend' to come downstairs. Oh my goodness, I can't even tell you how bad it was. And this is our first house, and on the day we closed!!!! We understand this kind of thing happens...we are homeowners now (in the words of our dads), but you have got to be kidding me! We had planned on cleaning, decorating and enjoying the house and each other all weekend! Instead, it was just a mess...trying to get all the water out, tearing up some of the carpet, praying to God that it doesn't happen again! We still don't even know the cause! We have a contractor and insurance guy coming next week. In the meantime, we have pumps sitting down there in case whatever happened, happens again.

Welcome to our wading pool...

3 comments:

kimmyk said...

I would think you have some sort of like guarantee since if there was something wrong there was no disclosure. Don't they have to tell you and if they don't they get in trouble or some shit like that???

OMG, well...if it gets cold enough you can y'know..skate down there or something. Shit.

Congats on being home owners. How big is it? What exactly is a ski house? Just a house near the mtns. or somethin' where you can stay while you're skiing? I'm a tard I don't know these things.

kimmyk said...

Yes, we are definitely looking into it!!!

Like you said, it's just a regular old house where you can stay when you go skiing. Come to think of it, we'll be visiting year-round, so not sure if I can even call it a ski house. I guess it's just a vacation house. ha!

jb said...

Lets hope this is the worst thing you have to deal with. I just learned you can get someone killed over here for about 20,000 Baht (about half a grand). Just let me know if you suspect someone knew about this disaster waiting to happen. Now that I know people over here, we shouldn't have to put up with any shit like this.
hearting you,
jb