Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Drunk Boardwalk Bikers

So while at the shore this past weekend, 'boyfriend' and I decided to bike. Like everywhere. To breakfast, to the beach, to lunch, to get ice coffee...miles and miles of biking were enjoyed. Only problem was, we weren't supposed to bike past dusk (B&B rules for their bikes).

Being the rebels that we are, we decided to sneak the bikes out after dusk on our last night there and ride to dinner (a 10 minute bike ride) where we were meeting up w/ 6 of our friends to eat dinner and get hamma'd! Driving a car is not an option on 4th of July weekend b/c cops are out everywhere (not that I would EVER drive drunk b/c that is wrong), besides, waiting for a taxi at The Parker House is like waiting for Tom Cruise to come out of the closet. Not. gonna. happen.

So after dinner as our friends headed off to the loooong taxi line of drunkards, we hopped on our bikes (much to the jealousy of everyone around us) and started trekking back. 'Boyfriend is thinking it would be a funny story to tell for years to come if we got pulled over for drunk-biking. I fully agree, but I'm also thinking I just don't want to crash and hurt myself b/c I already got a bloody knee just trying to wheel the bike out of the garage while sober. Forget about the fact that now I've had 3 Michelob Ultras, 4 Captain and cokes and 2 Coronas (what a lightweight).

So we decide to illegally bike the boardwalk since it's already in a straight line just for us, no cars to avoid and no cops! Or so we thought...

We were almost to our turnoff when we get yelled at by a cop on the beach riding a 4-wheeler! 'Boyfriend' is drunk-biking way ahead of me, and to make matter worse, he's on the phone (hasn't he ever heard of hands-free? How dangerous!), so he hears none of the yelling! The cop is yelling at me to stop, I am yelling at 'boyfriend' to stop. What a mess! I finally catch up to him after a bench almost takes me out (that damn bench jumped out of nowhere I swear), and we get off the boardwalk and are back on the road. Obviously the cop didn't even care that we were drunk-biking. 'Boyfriend' was v. disappointed we didn't at the very least get a written warning.

Needless to say, we made it back safely, the blood on my knee had dried by then, and we were able to sneak the bikes back w/o getting caught. All in all, a fun drunk-biking night.

No comments: