Friday, June 02, 2006

I'm Not Scared of a Little Lightning!

How about we talk about last night's storm! I had a softball game (because I'm so butch) last night RIGHT when the storm was heading in. As we're waiting for the other game to finish up so we can start ours, we see some dark clouds coming in from the west. The first patch of dark clouds missed us; no rain, no lightning, nuthin'. Phew! That was close! (wow, I would be a damn good weather-bitch).

Anyway, we start our game, I miss a ball or two (one bounced right over my head, oopsie), then the darkest clouds ever (yes, ever!) start rolling in. Then the lightning comes. Did I mention that our game is taking place UNDER the Queensboro Bridge. It's metal people! Normally, I LOVE thunder storms, but under these circumstances, not so much.

I am in the outfield facing the storm, so I am seeing it coming right at us! The umpire, therefore, is facing the pretty blue side of the sky and appears to have no. effing. clue. what's going on behind him. I start freaking out a bit and start yelling and pointing to the storm trying to get the ump to turn around and look. Now, seeing as how we're under the bridge and cars and subway going over it are extremely loud, no one can hear me! Especially not the ump who is a mile away! Of course every time he turns around, the lightning decides to be a bitch and not flash, so it just looks like dark clouds.

What are my other teammates doing while I'm having my own little lightning bitchfest you say? Nothing. Just playing softball as if it's fun. OK boys, you stand here under the metal bridge. I'm going home. Don't come crying to me when lightning strikes, bitches.

Anyway, after 1/2 an inning, the ump finally sees the lightning and decides to call the game, so we all leave. Everyone scatters trying to get home b/f the rain comes. 'Boyfriend' and I try to hail a cab since we have to carry home the big softball bag JUST as it starts to POUR! Therefore, there are no cabs. Anywhere! So what do we do? We stand under the METAL QUEENSBORO BRIDGE FOR A 1/2 HOUR UNTIL AN EFFING CAB COMES!!!

Needless to say, I did not encounter any injuries. I didn't get struck by lightning. I didn't get splashed by any cars. 'Boyfriend,' however nearly popped an eardrum when I accidentally screamed at the loudest thunder clap ever (yes ever)!

1 comment:

blaster said...

wow....that could get scary...if you are a little baby i guess...hahhaa..who the hell plays softball under a bridge? pffff