Thursday, May 10, 2007

Five-Second Rule

This article in the Urban Eye Section of the NY Times is hysterical! Actually, not the article just the topic.

Jillian Clarke, a high-school intern at the University of Illinois in 2003 conducted a study to see if the "5-Second rule" is safe to follow. She found that over 50% of men and over 70% of women have heard of the 5-second rule and that many said they follow it! Ha!

I totally follow it, which is weird b/c i'm such a hypo, but it always seems funny at the time when you drop food and declare 5-second rule and then eat it! Although I have to say that I don't use the rule w/ everything. Like if it's a lolli-pop or something w/ sauce or eggs or anything that's sticky or a bit wet that shit can stick to, I'm OBVIOUSLY not going to eat it off the floor. But maybe a piece of cookie or chocolate that you can just snatch up and give it a little blow (you know what I mean, gutter brains), then I will eat it.

The test used foods like cookies, gummy bears, bologna, etc., which to me are things that bacteria would stick to (except the cookies). They also PUT salmonella and E. coli on counters and floors to test it, so obviously unless you live in a pig sty, you won't have as much bacteria on your floors and counters (don't quote me on that).

As it turns out, Jillian proved that, "On surfaces that had been contaminated eight hours earlier, slices of bologna and bread left for five seconds took up from 150 to 8,000 bacteria. Left for a full minute, slices collected about 10 times more than that from the tile and carpet, though a lower number from the wood."

Listen, I'm not going to tell you what to do, but even I can deal w/ 150 to 8,000 bacteria. OK ew, not really. I'm going to have to stick to using my best wet/sticky food judgment.

No comments: